We adopted a new puppy recently, just a few weeks after we moved in to our new home in the Dallas area. After several failed attempts to adopt from foster homes, we went to the local animal shelter when we heard they had received an overwhelming number of pets released from recent college graduates. The only stipulation we wanted for a new dog was one close in age to Lucy, so they could grow together. For me it is really hard to walk in a shelter a look at all the lonely eyes staring back at you from behind bars, knowing they will be killed if they are not adopted. If I had the money and land, I would open my own care center.
After a quick walk through around the shelter, we identified several matches. We spent a short amount of personal time with the dogs trying to decide which would be the best match for our family. At a certain point I asked Jeremy to pick one because I could not decide, nor could I stand there any longer looking at all the dogs in need of a loving home. So, in a matter of seconds, Jeremy pointed to a cage and picked out a puppy from a liter. The puppy's profile listed her as a two-month old Terrier. We loved on her while they prepared her information for adoption, then had to wait four days to pick her up at a local vet where they would spay her and update her shots. We now have our new puppy at home with us. Her name is Otie, named after my dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment